Friday, November 5, 2010

Travel is . . .

. . .Or can be, downright silly.

I went into Bed, Bath and Beyond yesterday to replace a meat thermometer and found an amazing array of themometers to choose from. But I also found a display of luggage scales. Luggage scales!

Imagine a nation so terrified of airlines' baggage charges that travelers struggle to weigh their suitcases before leaving for an airport. Having to weigh bags at home is frankly nuts. Pack with discipline, it's not too hard.

In the last month I heard a story about a woman who was boarding a transAtlantic plane when the ticket agent told her she would have $150 in charges because her suitcase was too heavy. She encouraged my friend to go around the corner and buy another bag for $30 and carry it on.

Scenes of people repacking their luggage in public spaces at airports are common.

When I left Frankfurt for home, three weeks ago, I had accrued paper information on Germany that weighed over three pounds, for which I was being charged. Otherwise my luggage was exactly what I'd left home with. (Oh, I did buy a lipstick in a Hamburg department store, but that was in my purse.) Fortunately all the paper had been packed in an outside pocked and I passed off the offending paper I didn't need to the agent and flew home.

We are at the airlines' mercy. I truly am glad they are making money. I am happy when any business is successful, but this continuing luggage tyranny is rather silly.

But I have to go now, I have a plane to catch. And yes, I am checking my bag. But, I am flying Southwest. They don't charge!

No comments:

Post a Comment