Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Travel is . . .

. . .Regrets

I never got to the see Pyramids along the Nile. I never toured Egypt.

I missed something wonderful - of this I am certain, and I am sorry.

I am not personalizing an international crisis or the horror that is impacting hundreds of thousands of innocent Egyptians eager for a chance at a better life. It is all a major tragedy, but as I begin a second week of tv crisis monitoring, I realize I missed a great opportunity.

And I had several chances.

As recently as a year ago other freelance writers, members of the Society of American Travel Writers, traveled to Egypt and came home raving (and writing) about the wonders. I hadn't wanted to undertake the extensive travel and, facing back surgery a month later, opted out.

Fourteen years ago, the Society offered trips to Egypt after an Israeli convention. I was already going to be away from home for three weeks - including a five-day tour of Jordan - and opted out.

Several Nile cruises had been offered to me over the years. I never sailed.

Now, a group of what appear to be brave people who are tired of tyranny and want something better for their families, are putting their lives on the line. Will I have another opportunity?

Who knows, but for now, I regret not seizing the ones I had.

And I hope that calm returns to Egypt in a more egalitarian form.

And maybe I will get another opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment