Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Travel is . . .

. . . . A hard habit to break.

Sometimes that break is forced upon us: Maybe it's a job change, sickness or surgery, or loss of a loved one. Any life-altering experience will prompt a change in habits.

Short version: I had a back problem, had surgery, recovered and hit the road in August after a three month break. In the process I neglected this blog but it is good to be back. And I am really back.

Literally.

I just returned from two-and-a-half weeks in Germany and a weekend in London to visit a grandson going to school there. I went to Germany for a Society of American Travel Writers Convention in Dresden and Leipzig.

Before the convention I spent five days in Hamburg. The trip entrailed four train and four plane rides, three boat excursions including an exciting sail on the River Weser from Hamburg to Bremerhaven. It was a culturally and historically interesting time and included visiting the new Beatles Square in Hamburg, exciting and memorable emigration museums in Bremerhaven and Hamburg, the regal Dresden Museum or a tiny town named Markneukirchen - the Music Town - in a corner where Bavaria, Bohemia and Germany meet in the former GDR. The townsfolk have made musical instruments since the 1670s and we had the opportunity to interview a 50-something violin-maker who continues the process.

My mind is still reeling, but the trip - though tiring - provided terrific information. Seeing my SATW friends - and the collegial feeling we share - was fun, and now it is time to put things in perspective.

I hope to do that soon, and I will share some of these experiences in the next few days.

As I said to my dry cleaner this morning, it was a wonderful trip, but it's good to be back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment