Saturday, October 23, 2010

Travel is . . .


...NOT about fear.


I arrived in Germany three weeks ago. A couple of hours later I took a train from Frankfurt to Hamburg. After an all-night flight and a four-hour train ride, I was grateful to get into my room, my tub and my bed in that order.


I slept for about two hours and turned on TV. BBC World informed me that the U.S. State Department had issued a travel advisory for Germany, France and the UK based on possible terrorist attacks and that the terrorist cell was located in, drum roll please, Hamburg. I knew that the news would make the Sunday morning talk shows, so I hooked up by trusty laptop and emailed friends and family that I was fine and would be careful. Within a few hours one of my sons had responded, "when are you flying home."


I didn't leave. I didn't feel fear. I have a rather fatalistic outlook that what will happen will happen, and while I don't take risks, I do try to be cautious. Obviously, while I enjoyed my more than two weeks in Germany and the UK, (I am saving France for the next trip,) I got home all in one piece. In the mean time I toured some fascinating places in Europe.


Frankly, the concept of bed bugs frightens me more.


About a month or so ago I met a woman in the Atlanta airport. It was a Saturday evening and while we waited for our flight to Fort Lauderdale she told me about her business. She is an account manager for a line of medical-related products and carries something called Organic Avenger Natural Bed-Bug Killer. Any travelers to any city these days has heard about the threat - and bed-bugs aren't only in low-rent hotels. Properties at all price points have been infested and I have seen stories about the bugs on television in four different cities in recent months..


My new friend sent me a sample of a small aerosol spray the kills the bugs without staining bedding or using harmful chemicals.


It's a wonderful insurance policy and I am delighted to have it. So far, those little rascals haven't been on my dance card, but I am fearful. I am very afraid.
But travel in general, no. Not really.



No comments:

Post a Comment