Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Travel is. . .

. . .Trying not to sound like a know-it-all.

Friends of mine are planning a major trip next year to celebrate a major event in their lives. The scheme involves a cruise from Barcelona to Italy and back to Barcelona. They are excited beyond words and I am excited for them.

I have sailed on that itinerary several times and love it. But when you encourage friends or family to see things you've enjoyed and use phrases like "oh, it was wonderful, beautiful, marvelous (you fill in the adjective)," you're taking on a responsibility. I don't really relish that aspect of travel advice, but I do have a tremendous enthusiasm for the getting-up-and-going part of travel.

I recommended several things that were key for me in Barcelona, like the Picasso Museum, a stroll on the Ramblas and the amazing Gaudi architecture, then I suddenly stopped short. Let them experience what they want.

Sometimes there's the generational experience.

My late husband and I did a 4,000-mile car trip in 2007. We included a visit to Little Rock and the Clinton Library, the home shown in the "Designing Women" television show and historic Central High School. We went on to Memphis, explored every inch of Graceland and Beale Street and loved the music.

One of my sons and his wife are planning to do that trip this spring. Elvis was important in our lives. He was a contemporary and his music is eternal. We were both Clinton fans, and who could not be impressed by the site where integration took hold?

I hope my kids enjoy their trip. They both know how much we enjoyed touring and the drive itself, so good luck.

But I do try - not always successfully - to not be a know-it-all.

No comments:

Post a Comment