Thursday, March 17, 2011

Travel is . . .

. . .Seeing an old friend

I flew to Turku, Finland for the float out of the Crystal Symphony luxury cruise ship in 1995. It was very exciting and walking through the ship with my hard hat on, I knew she was going to be a beauty.

I saw her again today, when I visited and saw the changes the cruise line has made. She does not look like a 16-year-old vessel. With a new pool deck and lounge area featuring charming orange and turquoise hues, a new lounge - Luxe - which doubles as a disco and features furniture designed by Philippe Starck, and redone Silk Road and Prego restaurants.

I first sailed on the Symphony in the Baltic, and unabashedly enjoyed the elegant ship and our luxurious cabin. One evening, when we returned to the ship tired and chose not to dress for dinner, our butler picked up a movie for the DVD player and popped popcorn for us instead.

Oh yes, butler service is tough to get used to, but I forced myself.

It was really one of the first luxury ships I'd sailed on and maybe that's why it is so memorable. Whatever the reason, and although I have sailed another time or two on Symphony and her sister Crystal Serenity, it was charming to visit with an old friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment