Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Travel is . .

, , , Nostalgia

One of the best trips my husband and I ever made was a car trip, about six months before he died, that took us through the deep south. We hit Little Rock and Memphis and while in Memphis went to Graceland and wandered through Elvisland, reliving our youth and feeling a little bit "all shook up." Loved it and I will always recall the trip fondly - and all those Cracker Barrel lunches.

Nostalgia is a biggie this year: new TV shows revisit "Pan Am," the "Playboy Club" and "Charlie's Angels." It's an intersting phenomenom and seems to be a combination of young women in skin-tight clothing and a longing for what may have been a simpler time.

I think that longing for what was is the key to this season's new TV shows, but I see it and hear it from my friends quite often.

"What's happening in the world?," "look how different things are today" are common statements. Maybe the 60s and 70s were very different. While I think each period in time brings its own situations, I do remember those days fondly.

Apparently others do as well.

Mount Airy, N.C. will be celebrating Mayberry Days Sept. 22-25, with tributes to the star of the Andy Griffith show, the town's most famous son. Actors who appeared on the show and a variety of exhibits representative of the show will be on display. For more information go to www.mayberrydays.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment