Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Travel is . . .

. . .a kind of history

I found out on Monday that two friends were planning to attend the firt 3D ballet at a local theater Tuesday night. These are two women who are long-time friends, our kids grew up together, we have shared many rites of passage and many good times and bad. I felt very comfortable inviting myself along.

I had been to the movies on Sunday and fleetingly saw a promotion for the ballet but didn't note the name of the ballet or of the company. Then I heard lt was the Mariinsky company of St. Petersburg - renamed Kirov during USSR days.

I had shlepped my husband to the Mariinsky when our ship spent two days in St. Petersburg. I nagged him into a jacket and although it was in the high 80s and very humid in the beautiful Russian city, he wore one.

This was during a very hot summer, probably about 1993 or 1994, and the theater, while still beautiful had not been maintained well under earlier governments. Many seats were broken, the upholstery torn and it had the aura of being sadly in need of a major rehab. And, of course, did not have air conditioning! My husband's dismay resulted ln his removing the jacket and placing it next to him on a (broken) seat - as did 99 percent of the men in the audience.

But when the lights went down and the curtains opened, all thought of heat, folded sports jackets, former governing styles and everything else disappeared. The dancers were amazing, their skills outstanding and although I truly cannot remember the name of the ballet we saw, it was a riveting experience. One I won't forget.

It all came rushing back when I saw the newest generation of Mariinsky dancers dance the haunting GISELLE. (The ballet was filmed in 2010.)

They are true artists, the large corps de ballet is fantastic and the lead dancers take your breath away.

It's just another reason I love travel -- and long-time friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment